Israel Says Senior Hamas Commander Izz al‑Din al‑Haddad Killed in Gaza Airstrike

Israel says a targeted airstrike in Gaza City has killed Izz al‑Din al‑Haddad, a senior Hamas military commander described by multiple international outlets as one of the last surviving figures involved in planning the October 7, 2023 attacks. The announcement was carried by the Associated Press, Reuters, CBS News, and several Israeli publications.

According to the Associated Press, the strike hit a residential building in Gaza City. Gaza Civil Defense officials told AP that seven people were killed in the blast, including al‑Haddad, his wife, his daughter, and several others inside the structure. AP also reported that the family publicly confirmed his death, and images circulated showing a funeral procession the following day.

Reuters reported that Israeli officials had been tracking al‑Haddad for months, describing him as a central operational planner within Hamas’ military wing. The outlet noted that Israel considers his death a significant step in its effort to dismantle the leadership structure responsible for the October 7 attacks, which resulted in widespread civilian casualties and hostage‑taking. Hamas is designated as a terrorist organization by the United States, the European Union, and other governments due to its long record of violence and human rights abuses.

CBS News reported that Israeli officials viewed al‑Haddad as a high‑value target and claimed he had surrounded himself with Israeli hostages to avoid being targeted. That claim has not been independently verified by international media.

Israeli outlets, including The Times of Israel and Haaretz, published additional background on al‑Haddad’s role within Hamas. Their reporting described him as a senior figure within the group’s military wing, involved in operational planning, weapons procurement, and coordination with other commanders. These outlets also noted that several senior Hamas leaders have been killed in recent months, leaving al‑Haddad among the last remaining high‑ranking figures tied to the October 7 operation.

Regional outlets, including Al Jazeera and Middle East Eye, focused on the civilian casualties reported in the strike and the fact that it occurred in a densely populated area. They also reported on the funeral held in Gaza City and the reactions from local residents.

The strike took place during a period of heightened tension, with ceasefire discussions continuing and both sides accusing each other of violations. Analysts quoted by Reuters said that while al‑Haddad’s death is symbolically significant, Hamas’ decentralized structure may limit the long‑term operational impact.

International coverage continues to develop as more details emerge from both Israeli and Gaza‑based sources.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *